Dr. Munish Batra
Munish Batra, MD, FACS, is a highly-respected plastic and reconstructive surgeon with expertise in craniofacial trauma, burn injuries, upper and lower extremity trauma, and General Plastic Surgery. He has been twice honored as "Top Doctor" in San Diego by the County Medical Society.
Dr. Batra started his career as a board certified general surgeon and was the Chief Resident in Trauma at St. Luke's Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio, a level one Trauma Center. He went on to do his residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and a fellowship in Craniofacial Trauma, as well as Pediatric Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery.
Dr. Batra feels very fortunate to have had the opportunity to help build one of the leading plastic surgery practices in the nation, Coastal Plastic Surgeons, which he founded in 2001. Since that time, it has become recognized as one of the premier cosmetic surgery practices in Southern California with locations in San Diego, Del Mar, Temecula and Kearny Mesa, and North San Diego County. His practice continues to flourish from referrals of his patients as well as numerous doctors in the community.
Dr. Batra is also the Founder of Coastal Medical Group. Relying on expertise of surgeons from diverse sub-specialties, Coastal Medical Group manages patients requiring complex reconstructive procedures from traumatic injuries.
As a Board Member of another charitable organization, American Society of Indian Plastic Surgeons (ASIPS), Dr. Batra travels to India and other countries once per year to operate on numerous patients with deformities and/or victims of devastating natural disasters.
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Craniofacial Trauma
- Hand Trauma
- Upper and Lower extremities
Assistant Clinical Professor, Plastic Surgery UCSD-Voluntary
Staff Surgeon, Scripps Memorial Hospital/Sharp Hospital
Past Chief of Plastic Surgery Section, Tri-City Medical Center
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons San Diego Plastic Surgery Society
Coastal Plastic Surgeons
Coastal Medical Group
- 12264 El Camino Real, # 101
San Diego, CA 92130
- 25495 Medical Center Dr. # 303
Murrieta, CA 92562
- 1983-87- B.S., Ohio State University, Columbus, OH Biology; B.A.: English, Minor: Psychology
- 1987-91- M.D.; Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- 1991-92- Intern, General Surgery, Saint Luke's Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- 1991-96- Emergency room training, Kaiser Hospital, Cleveland, OH
- 1992-96- Resident, General Surgery, Saint Luke's Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- 1995-96- Chief Trauma/Critical Care, Saint Luke's Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- 1996-98- Emergency room Physician perdiem Zion Avenue, San Diego, CA.
- 1996-98- Plastic Surgery, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- 1998-99- Craniofacial trauma and hand surgery, Salt Lake City, UT
- 1991- Intern of the Year
- 1992, 1994-96 Saint Luke's Medical Center Award for Honors - Resident Inservice Exam
- 1993- First Prize, Research Presentations, Midwest Surgical Society
- 1993, 1996- Basic Science Research Award - Cleveland Surgical Society
- 1994, 1996- Saint Luke's Resident Research Award, First Prize
- 1993- Saint Luke's Resident Research Award, Second Prize
Inservice Scores:PGY l, 99% PGY Il, 89% PGY 111, 98% PGY IV, 94% PGY V
- 1995- Teacher of the Year, Saint Luke's Medical Center, Department of Surgery
- 1998- Honorable Discharge from the Army - Rank Captain
- 2002- Teacher of the Year, UCSD plastic surgery division
2002 Profile in Plastic Surgery, Carmel Valley News 2002 "Best Doctors", San Diego Magazine 2010 Oprah Winfrey guest for D.O.C.S.
- 2010- Feature article in L.A. Times on D.O.C.S
- 2010- "Top Doctors" San Diego County Medical Society
- 2011- "Top Doctors" San Diego County Medical Society
12264 El Camino Real, Suite 101, San Diego, California 92130 Phone: (858) 847-0800 Fax: (858) 724-0450
- American Board of Surgery, Board Certified - 1998
- American Board of Plastic Surgery, Board Certified — 2000, Recertified in 2008
- G 83246 State of California
- Scripps Memorial Hospital-La Jolla
- Scripps Memorial Hospital-Encinitas
- Tri-City Medical Center
- Sharp Coronado Hospital
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Pomerado Hospital
- Kaiser Foundation Cleveland , OH / San Diego, CA — 1,300 clinical hours as emergency room physician
- 1996 - INTERFACE UCSD
- 1998 — Present - Volunteer work in reconstructive plastic surgery, Bombay, India, tsunami relief, ASIPS
- 2002 - Present Founder, Doctor's Offering Charitable Services (D.O.C.S.), non-profit organization
- 2009 - Present Founding Member ASIPS
EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES & RELEVANT WORK:
- Social Chairman, Saint Luke's Medical Center House Staff, 1994
- AIDS Education Program for school children
- Operation Aware Drug Program
- Studies in tropical medicine: India, 1989
- Tutorial work: Biochemisfry, Immunology, Anatomy (Case Western Reserve School of Medicine) A Review of Surgical History, 1996 Graduate Program Case Western Reserve University
- Instructor Police Athletic League Boxing Club
- Big Brothers' Association
- Alternative music
- Nonfiction writing
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Batra, M.K., Sidhu, S.H. Gas chromatographic analyses of lipid solubility of medicinal plant extracts.Presented at American Society of Chemical Engineers Meeting, Cleveland, Ohio, 1985.
- Batra, M.K., Damtew, B., Pentoxifylline decreases macrophage TNFa in severe injury. Presented to Cleveland Surgical Society, Cleveland, Ohio, March 1993.
- Batra, M.K., Damtew, B., Pentoxifylline decreases macrophage TNFa in severe burn injury. Presented to Society of Critical Care Meeting, Manhattan, N.Y., April 1993.
- Batra, M.K., Damtew, B., Schreiber, H., Spagnuolo, P. Protective effect of Pentoxifylline in Down regulation of macrophage TNFa in burn injury. American Federation of Clinical Research, May 1993.
- Batra, M.K., Bernard, M.K., Picha, G.J. Histologic comparison of breast implant shells with smooth, foam and pillar microstructuring in rat model from I day to 6 months. Presented at Cleveland Surgical Society, March 1994.
- Damtew, B., Batra, M.K. Stress-induced cytokine release remains stable in the aging population. Presented to American Federation of Clinical Research Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 1994.
- Damtew, B., Batra, M.K., C-reactive protein alters archadonic acid metabolism in phagocytes. Presented to American Federation of Clinical Research Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 1994.
- Batra, R.K., Batra, M.K., Chari, V., Curiel, D. Transfer of plasmid DNA into GI epithelium using adenoviral vector. Presented at Cleveland Surgical Society, March 1995.
- Batra, M.K., Brownlee, J., King, T., Schreiber, H., Damtew, B. Endothelial cell dependant inhibition of endothelial cell - Neutrophil interaction of IL-Ira protein. Presented at Cleveland Surgical Society, March 1996.
- Miller, S., Batra, M.K., Holmes, R.E., Cooper, M.L. Endoscopic placement of expanders in conjoined twins. Presented at the California Society for Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, March 1997.
- Batra, M.K., Camp, L., Picha, G. Alternative Gel Fillers for Breast Implants in the Rat Model. Presented at California Society of Plastic Surgeons, March 1998.
- Batra, M.K. Two stage palatoplasty. Aesthetic and Reconstruction Surgery of the Face. The New Millennium - Snowbird Symposium, January 1999.
- Batra, M.K. Pediatric Facial Trauma: Utah Pediatric Society Meeting, May 1999.
- Batra, M.K. Craniofacial reconstruction. Scripps Memorial Hospital Division of Surgery, October 1999.
- Batra, M.K. The History of Plastic Surgery. Keynote address, SAPI, December 1999.
- Batra, M.K. Aesthetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery in the New Millenium: KOCTV, I hour TV special, January 2001.
- Batra, M.K. Endoscopic Wrinkle Reduction and Browlift: NBC News, November 2002
- Batra, M.K. Rhinoplasty and Scar Revision: Fox News, January 2003
- Batra, M.K. The Specüum of Cosmetic Procedures, From Family Practitioner to Plastic Surgeon. San Diego Academy of Family Physicians 48th Annual Symposium, June 2004.
- Batra, M.K., Gupta, Abhay Dermatological Skin Procedures: Skin Biopsy and Suturing Techniques. San Diego Academy of Family Physicians Workshop, November 2005.
- Batra, M.K., Damtew, B., Spagnuolo, P., Schreiber, H. C-reactive protein alters archadonic acid metabolism in phagocytes. American Federation of Clinical Research, 42(2): 150A, 1994.
- Batra, M.K., Damtew, B., Schreiber, H., Spagnuolo, P. Cytokine production in aging. American Federation of Clinical Research 42(2):217A, 1994.
- Batra, M.K., Bernard, S., Picha, G.J. Histologic comparison of breast implant shells with smooth, foam and pillar microstructuring in rat model from I day to 6 months. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 1995.
- Batra, M.K. Leukotrienes and Eicosanoids. I: Immunology - Current Concepts. Faulkner J.D.. Williams and Wilkins, 1992.
- Peters, M.H., Sonpal, I.M., Batra, M.K. Breast cancer in women following mantle irradiation for Hodgkin's disease. American Surgeon 61(9):763-6, 1995.
- Batra, M.K., Peters, M.H., Camp, L.A., Voiculescu, 1., Thornton, J.C. Lisinopril-induced angioedema necessitating cricothyrotomy in a post-operative patient. Contemporary Surgery 4(1):22-23, 1996.
- Batra, M.K., Adolph, M.D., Thornton, J.C., et al. Antithrombin Ill deficiency and white clot syndrome. Case reports and literature review. Vascular Surgery 30(1):37-45, 1996.
- Picha, G.J., Batra, M.K., McGrath, M.H. Biomaterials in Plastic Surgery. In: Georgiade Plastic, Maxillofacial and Reconstructive Surgery. Georgiade, G.S., Georgiade, N.G., Riefkohl, R., Levin, L.S. (eds.) Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
- Picha, G.J., Batra, M.K. Breast Augmentation. In: Plastic Surgery - Indications, Operations and Outcomes, Aesthetic Surgery. Guyuron, B., Eriksson, E., (eds.) Mosby Inc., 2000. Vol 5 Ch 150 pp 2743-56
- Batra, M.K., Muscoreil, S.J., Schreiber, H.S. Therapeutic options for locally advanced breast cancer. Contemporary Surgery. In Press.
- Batra, M.K., Peters, M.H., Passalacqua, M., Perl, J. Temporal artery-vein fistula resulting from ice pick stabbing. Contemporary Surgery. 7(2):29-34, 1997.
- Geller, D., Batra, M.K. Blunt traumatic rupture of thyroid gland. Head and Neck Surgery. Accepted, In Press.
- Batra, M.K., Peters, M.H., Thornton, J.C. A case of brachial artery thrombosis following presumed intravenous urogram. Resident & Staff Physician, July 1997.
- Batra, M.K. Could I Save My Best Friend's Life? Medical Economics, 75(4):73-83, February 1998. First Prize Article.
- Batra, M.K. - "Marcus". The Human Condition. (UCSD) March 1999.
- Batra, M.K., Miller, S. Demoid Tumor of the Hand. Hospital Physician. June 1996.
- Batra, M.K. Anthropomatic basis for Midface Augmentation. Submitted, Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Batra, M.K., Garramone, R., Morales, L., Jr. Lip Augmentation. Submitted, Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Kikawa, D., Batra M.K. Browlift through Upper Eyelid Incisions. Journal of Ophthalmic Surgery, January 2000.
- Kikawa, D., Miller, S., Batra, M.K., Lee, A. Small Incision Nonendoscopic Browlift. Ophthalmic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Vol 16, Nol, pp 28 - 33.